Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Lent begins ...

In a couple of hours, Lent begins.

I know a lot of people hate Lent. It seems depressing and overly self-flagellant. Like we need a formal 40-Day reminder that we fall so far short of expectations -- others, God's, our own. I know I don't need help beating myself up; I'm pretty good at that already.

But, I really need this Lent. I need a time to re-focus, pray, reflect and seek God. I need to find the reservoir that is God's love and sink deep into it for awhile. I need living water. The good news is that I know where to find it ... I just don't take advantage of the invitation often enough to satisfy the deeper longings of my soul.

That's what I'm searching for this Lent. I need a "refresher course."

At my church, we've put together a Lenten Devotional book. It contains reflections for each day between now and Easter that were written by members of our church family. I'm beginning those readings tomorrow with the prayer that God will speak through those daily devotions and that I will come to know God deeper.

Lent's not about giving up something ... for me its about adding something. Adding this time of devotion. Adding this prayer for renewal. Adding this reminder of whose I am. Right now, I don't need to be diminished further by "giving up" something. I need to be filled to over-flowing by one who says "all these things shall be added to you."

No comments: