Thursday, April 9, 2009

God With Us

The body and blood of Christ … made real to us in the bread and cup of communion. The message is simply, “God with us.” That’s the message that we begin the Christian year rehearsing. Emmanuel, God with us.

Today I shared communion with some of the members of my church who can’t get out and be with us when the community gathers. We shared some conversation and laughter together and God was with us.

I spent some time learning about the Seder meal and the passing of the Story from one generation to the next. It is the Story of the mighty ways that God acts throughout history on behalf of God’s people. The time was full of powerful symbols meant to reveal to us that God is with us.

In our worship time this evening, we washed each other’s feet as a sign of humility and service. We see that humility modeled for us by Jesus himself as he washes the disciple’s feet. Because of my knee surgery I couldn’t even kneel down to wash feet, but a friend stepped up and took the basin and towel from me. I was humbled as I watched him do for others what I could not do. The sense of God’s presence was potent; God was with us.

I don’t completely understand this simple truth that God is with us, but I know it to be true. I don’t have to understand everything to believe something. In humility and service, in the washing of feet; God is with us. Sometimes you just have to experience it in order to begin to understand it.

No comments: