Friday, December 24, 2010

A Constant Invitation (Sacred Space - December 24)

Luke 1:67-79

In a few hours our Christmas Eve services will begin. It’s a hectic time for pastors and the pace we set often doesn’t lend itself to a lot of time for introspection. So hearing Zechariah’s words are especially meaningful this morning:

“for you will go before the Lord to prepare his ways, to give knowledge of salvation to his people by the forgiveness of their sins.”

In a very real way, that is the pastoral calling as well as John’s. To prepare the way, to open the way for knowledge of salvation so that all of God’s children can experience forgiveness of their sins. And each Christmas Eve is another opportunity to proclaim that message.

Unfortunately, Christmas Eve can become routine. Proclaiming the same story over and over again can become like listening to a broken record if your not careful with your heart. And careful with the Story.

Again, back to Zechariah. His words remind us that rather than a broken record, Christmas is a constant invitation! From Creation’s dawn God’s light has broken upon us to shatter the darkness of death and to guide us in the way of peace.

I haven’t always been careful with my heart. I haven’t always been careful with the Story. This Christmas Eve, I’m ready to invite Jesus into my heart and into my home. I’m prepared to seek his ways.

I pray that as others come to services today, they are ready to accept an invitation to do the same.

No comments: