Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Silent Night (Sacred Space – December 21)

This post is thoughtful words from a friend I wanted to share:

I had the distinct pleasure of getting a unit of blood today.  But really more exciting is that there were a number of friends that said they would donate for me, even asking if it were possible.  That’s astounding, and wonderful.

There are so many thoughts running through my mind at the moment.  I’m truly blessed to have anyone (and more to have many) willing to donate of themselves like that.

My mind wanders and thinks of the season, and that I’m glad I’m not in the hospital.  Is that just nonsense?  I don’t think so.  While a good portion of the world readies for the celebration of the coming of Christ, I wonder how many of us truly take in the meaning.  I mean, it’s just another Federal Holiday – right?  It’s just THE season for commercial gratuitous spending.  So, if I was stuck in the Hospital it’s just another day in another week.  Nope.

It’s not just another day, just watch the Peanuts Christmas.  A child was born to us, not just any child, but the embodiment of God, Christ Jesus, Lord with us, Emmanuel.  We celebrate this day, and season, because of the implausible way God chose to show himself to us.  A savior brought to earth as a baby, wrapped in cloth and lying in a manger.

Of course Christmas is not a one act play.  The finale, should anyone forget, is Easter.  Easter is a beautiful word to hide the excruciating torture and death Christ endured and overcame to give each of us the chance to find our way to God and heaven.  Without Easter, Christmas has no poignancy.  All this leads me full circle to getting the unit of blood today.  It’s wonderful to know that someone will donate of him or herself to help me.  Think then, about the gift Christ offers, his blood shed for all our sins.

So, I don’t want to be in the hospital this season or on Christmas, I want to be with my family, friends and brothers and sisters in Christ singing Silent Night at a late service on Christmas Eve.

~Godspeed

No comments: