Saturday, December 4, 2010

In My Blindness (Sacred Space – December 3rd)

Matthew 9:27-31

The Presence of God – This hasn’t been one of my better weeks and I can feel my heart calling out for some time alone. Not just a time separate from people, but a time to set aside responsibilities and refocus. Only a  few days into Advent and already I need to refocus! Tonight I have a two-hour drive alone in the  car; I’m looking forward to listening to some music – that will help bring me back into the Presence.

Freedom – This has been a week full of troubling world news: a lot of damaging information released by Wikileaks, North and South Korea are posturing. It makes me so aware of how precious and how fragile is freedom. And how precarious life becomes when we put our hope and trust in the wrong places.

Consciousness – How long does it take to get diverted from the things of God and distracted by this “Other Christmas?” For me, it takes about a day. One day without some time devoted to God, prayer and the Word is all it takes. And then my spirit gets restless.

The Word – The blindness of these men from Matthew 9 is something that in a figurative sense I have struggled with all week. If I really want something different from Advent & Christmas, I have to know where to find it. These two blind men knew that they wanted something different and they knew where to find it! “Have mercy on us, Son of David!”

Conversation – Today, as I meet Jesus I am saying, “Have mercy on me, Son of David!”

Conclusion – When Jesus asks me, “Do you believe that I am able to do this?” I will say, “Yes! Yes, Lord, you can.”

No comments: